Friday 13 July 2012

Tour News: Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks



I’ve always enjoyed Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks. To the contrary of many, and without sounding too controversial, I’d even go at lengths to say I enjoy their music just as much as Pavement.
Stephen Malkmus seems more focused with this project. Hardly surprising, taking into account maturity with age and all the other platitudes most us experience in this life. With this, maybe it’s unfair to compare SM&Js and Pavement? Given the latter’s cult status there’s always going to be that evaluation between the respective projects or anything else Stephen artistically dabbles in.

SM&Js albums hold an impenetrable feel. Something not really associated with Pavement and its slacker essence. Stephen Malkmus is probably my favourite album out the bunch, with Real Emotional Trash trailing not too far behind. Pig Lib and Face The Truth are solid works, too. Many even suggest that PL is the pinnacle out of the bunch.
Mirror Traffic (Matador, 2011), their latest, left me a little flat. I felt it was unfocused, perhaps a band running out of steam. However, true to form, after hearing their announcement for the Brisbane Festival in September, it was time for a revisit and 12 months down the track it started to come together. Yes, impenetrable no more. This one just took a little longer, but I finally got there. I’d slot it somewhere in between PL & FTT, which is good enough for me. ‘Senator’ got me from the outset, but after revisiting, ‘Brain Gallop’, ‘All Over Gently’ and ‘Fall Away’ also shape up to the quality we’ve come to expect. Summation: I’m a happy camper and even happier with the below tour dates. You should be, too.
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks Mirror Traffic Tour Dates:
Tuesday, 25 September 2012 Spiegeltent, Cultural Forecourt, South Bank *
Wednesday, 26 September 2012 Spiegeltent, Cultural Forecourt, South Bank *
Friday, 28 September 2012 Rosemount Perth WA
Saturday, 29 September 2012 Wave Rock Weekender Hyden WA
Wednesday, 3 October 2012 Corner Hotel Melbourne VIC
Friday, 5 October 2012 Factory Theatre Sydney NSW
 
* As apart of The Brisbane Festival. Tickets & Information: here

By Simon K.

1 comment:

  1. I created a Lego design using solidworks and now I need to get that image in a powerpoint presentation. How do I do that?.

    ReplyDelete